Sweet potato sandwiches!
Around 4 sandwiches
It’s easy to get stuck in a rut eating sandwiches for lunch during the week….why not jazz it up with these sweet potato sandwiches?! They are delicious and packed with vitamin A from the sweet potato!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
Cream cheese or cheddar cheese
Smoked salmon and avocado
Salmon or tuna, red onion and cream cheese mixed into a spread
- Chopping board and knife
- Julienne (optional)
- Baking tray and parchment paper
- Utensils to make your fillings
- Dairy (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170c (180c if not fan assisted / gas mark 4)
- Wash your potatoes making sure all dirt is removed from the skins
- Use either a julienne or carefully cut the sweet potato into thin slices around 1/2 cm thick
- Coat both side of the potato slices in olive oil (use a pastry brush or your fingers)
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper (you may need to use two trays depending on how many slices you have)
- Sprinkle with salt and then pop in the oven for 30 minutes until soft
- Prepare your fillings while they are cooking. If you are making the salmon mix chop 1/2 red onion into very small pieces and then mix with a tin of salmon and a large tablespoon of cream cheese
- When the potato slices are soft (they may need another 5/10 minutes in the oven to be totally soft - it depends how thick they are!) let them cool a little and then layer your fillings onto half of them
Place another slice on top to make a sandwich, push down slightly and then gobble! Store in the fridge for a day or two but best eaten quickly!